Also - check out some of the my sponsors!

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Breakfast on Planet Tiffany's?

While travelling recently, I made the mistake of wandering into Tiffany's in the airport. I was quite tempted to have breakfast, but resisted the urge. I have always liked diamonds, but those sparkling, glittering magnificent stones, set so perfectly were something else - I am in love. I just hope my boyfriend doesn't mind. I think I now know their secret...



An international research team with scientists from Australia, Germany, Italy, the UK, and the United States have discovered a pulsar with an interesting neighbour. Pulsars are highly magnetized, rotating neutron starts that emit a pulsing beam of radiation. They are formed when the core of a massive star is compressed during a supernova (a huge explosion), which collapses into a neutron star. Most pulsars have no companions whatsoever, but this one appears to have a very special one.

The orbiting neighbour has a mass close to that of Jupiter and appears to be a remnant of a carbon- and oxygen-rich white dwarf star that measures no more than 55,000 kilometers across. It's make-up and mass mean that it may have a very interesting quality.

''It's highly speculative, but if you shine a light on it, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't sparkle like a diamond," says Travis Metcalfe of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, talking to New Scientist.

This find is very rare considering the nature of pulsars. Also, a planet that dense is also a rare find.

Some interesting facts...

On Earth, diamonds are formed at pressures of 45-60 kbar.  A kilobar is a metric unit used to measure high pressure. This high pressue corresponds to a depth of 125-200 kilometres below the Earth’s surface where the pressure is around fifty thousand times that of atmospheric pressure at the Earth’s surface.

Some diamonds form at depths of 300-400 kilometres, or even deeper, but these diamonds are particularly rare.

Diamonds are formed at temperatures between 900°C and 1,300°C.

So it makes sense that an old star (very hot) that has collapsed and compressed (very high pressure) that was composed mostly of carbon may indeed ressemble a very, very large diamond.

Guess I know where to have brunch... just hope I don't suffer from space-sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment